Welcome to Student Financial Advice
Calling all Continuing Students! Survive the Summer!
As we head ever closer to the end of the academic year - and the Summer break looms - we thought to look ahead at financial survival over the Summer with our online guide. It contains some really useful tips and information, so check it out here.
We also have the guide in a flip-book format here.
Starting University in September 2013?
Here is our essential guide to funding for prospective students in 2013/14 - http://sls.sunderland.ac.uk/studentfinancialadvice/finance-2013-14/new-full-time-undergrad/
Also try out our Scholarships Calculator, to see the extra funding available to you from the University of Sunderland - http://www.sunderland.ac.uk/calculator/
Drop-In Service is back at St. Peter's!
The St Peter's Campus drop-in service is now back - and better than ever!
We have extended the drop-in hours at St Peter's Campus to more closely mirror the City Campus times.
The sessions are running on every weekday except Wednesdays.
- Morning drop-in sessions - 9.15am to 11.30am
- Afternoon drop-in sessions - 2.15pm to 4.30pm
Come and see us in the Upper Social Area at Prospect Building
Essential Information for Freshers
We have just added a page to our website specifically for FRESHERS.
It is some simple, but essential, guidance on what you need to know about managing your finances when you start University. Check it out here.
Check out our Facebook page
The Student Financial Advice team is on Facebook.
It's not only a great way to keep up-to-date with news, tips, and information - but also an opportunity for you to share tips with other students on money matters and money-saving.
We will also be regularly updating the page with information to give you advance warning about deadlines and important news, so why not LIKE us - UoS SFA on FACEBOOK
About Our Service
The Student Financial Advice team is the University's provision of information, advice, representation and on-going support for students on any aspect of student finance. The Service is:
- for all prospective or current students on University of Sunderland courses, either full-time or part-time, undergraduate or postgraduate
- free, confidential, impartial, and non-judgemental
- available to all students either by individual appointment or on a 'drop-in' basis, as well as by telephone and email
Advice can be given on all aspects of student finance including:
- problems with applying for grants and loans
- contact with national Student Finance agencies, such as Student Finance England or the Student Loans Company
- information on the student finance system and other sources of financial support
- assistance with claims for state benefits for those students who remain eligible
- if appropriate, help with identifying educational charities and trusts, and with applications for funding
Basic budgeting may prove to be a problem (especially for first year students) as a result of restricted income resources or the timing of student support payments. If you are aware that this may cause difficulty, do seek help as soon as possible.
If you do find yourself in financial difficulty during your studies at the University of Sunderland, the Student Financial Advisers can also help you with an application to the University's Access to Learning Fund
Please use the links available in the left menu to navigate to areas of the site that interest / concern you. If anything is unclear or you would like to send us feedback, please contact us.
Our Opening Hours
Monday to Thursday: 8:30am to 5:30pm
Friday: 8:30am to 5:00pm
Monday to Friday: 9:00am - 5:00pm